Confession No. 11: I am a Runner

For a very long time I declared, quite proudly, that I hated running. Would say it at every available opportunity - running was the absolute worst. I come from a very sporty family who all loved it, and I couldn't stand it. The only reason to run was, in my very humble opinion, if something bigger than I am was chasing me.

Confession Time: My humble opinion was wrong.

Turns out there's a whole bunch of benefits to running, some of which I am currently enjoying. The one I love the most? The stress release.

As it turns out, it wasn't that I hated running, it's that I wasn't doing it properly. Having done adequate training to get myself chugging along comfortably, I can now run 5km and find myself doing so for the stress release and the endorphin dump into my bloodstream afterwards. I have become the very person I hated; someone who goes for a run, comes home and can't wait to dig into a bowl of oatmeal or a healthy smoothie.

So I call myself a runner now, and there's still a lot of stuff tied to it for me. With my family history and my own personal issues, the actual topic of running is never going to be one that's uncomplicated for me. But I do love that the physical act of running is the most uncomplicated thing I can think of. It's easy and rhythmic and you just... go.

There's a lot of things in life I wish were as simple as strapping on my trainers, going out the door and just pounding the pavement.

Always,

Your teenaged disaster

Comments

Popular Posts