Confession No. 15: Goals are Important

Some days the last thing I want to do is get out of bed. I want to stay curled between my sheets, conserving energy. Sometimes I don't think I have the strength to face the world, with all its ugly brutality and resigned acceptance that this is as good as it's going to get.

It is days like that when I find my goals most important.

Confession Time: Possibly my most important possession is my watch.

Why? Because it has a step counter on it. A step counter with a goal.

I am a very goal-oriented person. I set one and I have to complete it otherwise I know I'll feel awful. Recently, my saving grace -- when I cannot stand the thought of trudging through life -- has been my watch, with its step counter reminding me to get up and move around. As soon as I do that, I feel a little better. It's that first step, that first movement out of bed that often seems like the most monumental hurdle, and as soon as that is cleared everything else just seems that little bit easier.

So I guess what I'm saying is set yourself goals. They don't have to be like the ones in school, the ones that you've made up to get teachers off your back. They can be small, bite-sized pieces. Make them achievable and suddenly you'll realise that goal setting has become part of your routine and it helps. It helps a lot.

Always,

Your teenaged disaster

Comments

Popular Posts